Saturday, May 22, 2010

Thygesen Naas Nelson Ørvik Families

Knud Thygesen Naas (1760-1840) was a prosperous and respected teacher, farmer and agricultural innovator. Naas was, and is, an ancient farm with five sub-farms. Knud, and subsequently his eldest son Thyge Knudsen were owners of Naas, Oppistua. After Knud's death, Thyge sold Oppistua to Gunder Voye, the father of his son Knud Thygesen's bride Dorthe Marie Voje. Knud and Dorthe Marie moved to a smaller farm, Vaasjø. In 1845, Thyge Knudsen Naas (b. 1784) immigrated to the US from Drangedal, Telemark, Norway. Only his eldest son Knud remained in Norway. In addition to his wife, Mariken Olsdatter Kurdøla, his sons Ole and Elling, a daughter Anne, and his eldest daughter Asborg Oline and her husband Gunder Nilsen Naas were also in the group of new immigrants from Norway on the ship Aeolus. They first settled at the Pine Lake settlement, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, later moving to Dodge County. Thyge and Anne both died shortly after arrival. After farming in Wisconsin for a number of years, Elling moved to Pierce County, Wisconsin. Asborg and Gunder also moved further west, to Kasson, Minnesota, where they founded a large family that took the name Nelson. Ole moved to North Dakota, and later to Bellingham, Washington. Between 1875 and 1885, all of the children of Knud Thygesen Naas Vaasjø also immigrated to Wisconsin, and first settled in Pierce county, near their Uncle Elling. The only son, Thomas Thygesen, went to North Dakota and farmed in the same area as his Uncle Ole, and never married. Thyges´ wife Mariken lived with her daughter Asborg, in Kasson, MN, where she died in in 1877. Our goal is to follow the generations that followed, to the present time, and to re-establish connections that have been lost for many years.

If you have interest please use the Comment Box to describe your reasons, and add the kind of information that you seek.

6 comments:

  1. As site administrator, MFH is gr gr Grandson of Knud Thygesen Naas Vaasjø. He is now in touch with descendants of all four siblings, as well as several descendants of Thyge Knudsen´s siblings. We are interested in finding more´cousins´

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link for a websiteof families from Holla/Lunde which includes much info on Drangedal families. I linked the page of Knud Tygesen b 1760

    http://www.holla-og-lundeslekt.org/slekt/showIndividual.do?IId=60092

    My ancestors are from Vaaje and are probably connected in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am embarrassed to have bumped into you (again?) on the blog that I had created, specifically to reach persons like you. If you get this, please accept my apology. We are certainly 'cousins' . The URL you provided didn't work. The reference to the Drangedal Arkiv is to the photo of my gr gr GF's younger brother Elling and wife. This blog was intended to direct you to the 'real' virtual reuninion, which is: http://tnreunion.blogspot.com/ My gr gr GM was the eldest daghter of Gunnar Tomassen Våje, which line in no doubt where we connect. Actually essentially everybody with drangedal Roots is related. If you do get this, be sure to get back to me, and it would be more reliable to use my email address, which is mfhansen3@gmail.com. I'm thinking about reviving this blog, and adding my wife's family. I am here today because I was looking for a way to give easier access to long written pieces on my Ancestry.com trees.

      Delete

      Delete
  3. From website Drangedal Historielag, I found a photot of Elling Tygesen and his wife. Info at bottom said photo from Wisconsin.

    http://www.drangedal.org/bildearkiv/?id=291

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was searching my maiden name "Naas" and found this blog. My great-grandfather, Ole Naas and his wife had several sons, one named Gunder Martin Naas, my grandfather. He married Agnes J. Hansen in November of 1910 in Stanwood, WA. My understanding is that the Naas patriarch came to this area via a native Indian guide. My grandmother was from Grand Forks, ND. Her family moved west and settled in Stanwood where she met Gunder. They had 3 children, Hazel Naas, Melford Naas, and Donald William Naas, my father who is now deceased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalena: This is a very late response to your enquiry over a year ago about Ole Naas. Your comment is exactly the reason that I created the site, hoping to find unknown 'cousins', to join a 'virtual reunion that I created. Your family lines and mine probably link somewhere, but it would be many generations back. The key Ole Thygesen Naas, in my family, came to this country with his father, mother and an older sister and younger brother ... all adults in 1845. The family dropped the Naas name in this country, and went by the name Thygesen. Ole, and a daughter and son (Edward) moved to ND, and farmed for a few years near Minot ... but then moved to Bellingham, WA in the 1890s. The paths sound similar, but we are talking about two different Naas Families. I have a very extensive Naas genealogy worked out by Lil Ann Parry. It is based on the Drangedal Sleksregister, and only includes contained in it. I looked, and there are only two Ole Naas entries. One is my gr gr GF's brother, who emigrated in 1845. The other is Ole Knudsen Naas b 1807 and married to Anne Ellefsdatter b 1810. Their daughter was Johanne Naas b 1842. Your family may have come from this line. If so, our closest common ancestor would be three generations earlier where there would be four persons ... two husband-wife pairs. So I would say that we are probably related ... but distantly. If you get this note, I would be happy to respond to any questions that you might have.

      Delete

I am eager to connect with interested parties. If you do not get a reply, please let me know at mfhansen3@gmail.com